Sunday, March 1, 2009

MOUNTAIN VIEW BRUINS

Let me start this post with a phone call Friday night....

Laura Romo calls me from North Carolina and says, "I'm getting on a plane tomorrow morning to go watch Mountain View in the state championship....pick me up in Salt Lake at 1:00." What do you say to that?....other than, "I'll be there!"

So... here's a little tribute to my friend and mentor: Before leaving Mountain View last spring to move back home to North Carolina, she promised those young ladies two things....1) that they would play for the state championship this year and 2) she would come back to see them win it!! For anyone who knows Coach Romo, she is a woman of her word (and many other incredible things). What an awesome sight it was that after cutting down the nets....the Bruins caught sight of their coach, jumped/climbed over their bench, ran up the stands and hugged this incredible person. They cried, they screamed, and even picked Romo up off the bleachers. Awesome. With all the class in the world, the new Mountain View Coaching Staff came and took Coach Romo into the locker room to celebrate with her team. Cool.

Congratualation to Mountain View High School!! You are the measuring stick.



On a side note.....the "Bruin Crazies" are the coolest student section!!! You can see them in this picture, but it doesn't do them justice. What a great sight it was to see so many young people who "get it!!" They scream, they yell, they have their own jerseys, they even have their own choreography!! Two thumbs up to the MVHS administration that "get it" too!!! Instead of stifling all those young people...they join them, organize them and get matching t-shirts!! Jeanne, Kayla, Mike and Rick....hats off!!! Thanks for always putting your students first...and again, showing the world what a high school should look, feel, and act like!!!Love and miss you all!!!

Once a Bruin, always a Bruin!!!
(of course this font is CARDINAL!!)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It might sound cheesy, but those were magical days weren't they? I think about high school bball all the time...the coaches, the friends and teammates, Santa Barbara, wins and losses, crazy home videos, etc. May we all be neighbors in heaven with a bball court in the middle of the culdesac!

Betsy said...

Hey Hey Barlow!! Just wanted to second Jess' comment. Truly magical days! Hope all is well with you and tell Romo "congrats" when you talk to her again! I hope to hear from you soon!!!

Betsy said...

I wanted to add that your boys or ADORABLE!! I bet they are so much fun!

Erin said...

Go Bruins. That is so awesome. I wish you would have picked me up on your way down to Salt Lake. Oh that would have been such a fun reunion. We need to meet for lunch, or dinner, sometime. K. Talk to you soon. Erin

Heather said...

Wish you would have called me!! I would have been there in a second. It sure brings back memories!!!

Baxter's said...

It did my heart good to see the bruins on the front page of the paper again. Thanks for sharing the story about Romo. She is the best! Doesn't surprise me one bit that she would do that. If you talk to her give her a shout out from old Oz. "We are the...fighting bruins of mountain view...."

Renee said...

It was fun to see you after the game! Reading this post makes me tear up...I am glad Romo could be there to watch it. What a wonderful tribute!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are going to experience the same thing this year, coach!